Friday, September 25, 2009

Scaredy Cat!

C'est moi.

Have you ever canned? I haven't. But I want to. That whole botulism thing is just a bit intimidating.

I have been saying I'm going to can ALL summer. Have I? No.

In my defense, most of the things I wanted to preserve were HIGHLY discouraged for home canning festivities. So instead of making roasted red peppers in oil, I roasted and froze them instead. As it turns out, that works just as well, if not better. Take a couple of strips out of the freezer, chop them up, and voila! Super-tasty FABulousness!

We've been freezing tomatoes as well, not because of The Fear, but just because it's easier. Chop them up, simmer them a bit, cool, put them in bags and freeze. Plus HN LOVES his vacuum sealer. Who am I to disagree!

I've also used the dehydrator of goodness to make "sun"-dried tomatoes, now resting comfortably in the freezer. Can I get a "YUM-MEE!"

But now it's the end of summer, well OK fall, and I can no longer put off the inevitable. Can I must.

Sigh.

Wish me luck in that I don't poison my family! It can't be that bad, right? I mean our grandparents did it, their parents, etc., and they survived! Sheesh, Just do it!

Yes, I admit I'm a giant goober,
Nugget

PS. oh you know I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments: