Wednesday, June 11, 2008

It Honestly Never Occurred to Me...

So I was working in the garden the other day, and saw this HUGE spider on the rock I was about to pick up. It was beautiful, red with black markings, and I had never seen one like it before(nope, not a black widow). I am generally very pro spider (outside the house) and have great respect for their work, killing bugs and such. But given it's size, it was clear that this one could not be allowed to live. I just couldn't stand the idea that it could accidentally wander into the house and be in the same living space as Team Nugget. Not acceptable. So I threw a rock at it. A big rock. AND IT BOUNCED OFF!!! It fricken bounced off the spider!!! It was clearly injured, though, and soon after the "incident", ants came and took it away, circle of life, blah, blah, blah.

Having secured the safety of Team Nugget, I was still curious about the type of spider I had just squished. Google to the rescue! I found this website: http://www.whatsthatbug.com/spiders.html

People write in to ask what kind of spider they have. Very interesting. Instead of throwing rocks, these folks took a picture of their spiders. Hmmm....

All for now,
Nugget

No comments: