Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bookclubbing

Back in the day, I was in a bookclub of sorts. It was populated by like minded sorts, and was devoted to all things Arty. It went on for quite some time, a few years even. At first we met once a week at a local coffee shop (thereby augmenting my caffeine addiction), and discussed an article or chapter that someone had chosen. Then it was every two weeks, then once a month, you get the idea. Eventually I engaged in the madness that was a PhD program and drifted away, although by then it was really kaput anyway. On the bright side, I formed wonderful friendships with my two remaining girlies, A & R. No readings anymore, just hangin with my girls.

So why the nostalgia? Well, since I came to my senses about the advanced degree, I have had a hankerin to read for fun. I've been pecking away at this one book for awhile, but I find I really need the discipline of deadlines to really accomplish said reading enjoyment. Reading for fun seems so...wrong. Which is crazy, I know, but after years of my advisor asking why I was reading such and such, it's not scholarly enough to use in my dissertation, blah, blah, blah, it kind of gets drilled in your head that books are work. You use them for research, you write them, you don't read them for entertainment.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm looking to join a book club. I see this thing on Facebook, so I might check that out. But still might be kind of cool to join something locally, not virtually. Because I don't drink enough coffee as it is!

All for now,
Nugget

No comments: